- 1 BP
- 1.1 Parts for "SMRT1 Joule Thief Light Kit"
- 1.3 Alternate Parts Layouts?? Which should we be using??
- 1.4 OR
- 1.6 Recent photo of actual unit (LED/Transistor spaced out to sides of breadboard):
- 2 PARTS LIST:
- 5 1x 1k ohm resistor (1/4W 5% 4-band color code)
- 6 Circuit Design:
- 7 QUESTIONS:
Parts for "SMRT1 Joule Thief Light Kit"
A joule thief is a minimalist self-oscillating voltage booster that is small, low-cost, and easy to build, typically used for driving small loads.
It can use nearly all of the energy in a single-cell electric battery, even far below the voltage where other circuits consider the battery fully discharged (or "dead"); hence the name, which suggests the notion that the circuit is stealing energy or "joules" from the source.
It can blink an LED for weeks, using a single AA type cell.
Alternate Parts Layouts?? Which should we be using??
Recent photo of actual unit (LED/Transistor spaced out to sides of breadboard):
ORIGINAL KIT DESIGN: (NOTE: Emitter-Collector are reversed in the labeling here)
EXAMPLE CIRCUIT (SOLDERED VERSION)
1x Mini breadboard 5x5 (25 point)
3x 5mm RGB LED(must be to TWO leg, not 4 - this will cycle through color patterns, not allow you to choose single colors)
external image s-l500.jpg
LED THIS LINK EXAMPLE:
SHENZHEN Company Data Sheet:
- http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com http://arduinoinfo.mywikis.net/wikifile/detail/changingLED.pdf Details]
- http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com http://arduinoinfo.mywikis.net/wikifile/view/changingLED.pdf/627782665/changingLED.pdf Download]
- 2 MB
1x Single AA Battery Holder with Breadboard Pins
( 1xAA battery type with BREADBOARD PINS is most important)
EXAMPLE: THIS LINK
1x Ferrite Toroid Core 10mm outside/6mm inside or close in size to fit inside lightbulb
"Ferrite Toroid: T10x6x5"
Maybe THIS LINK?
external image 41C6b7CFEcL.jpg
2x 20cm jumper wire (2 colors with ends)
(Use 2 or 3 wires from YourDuino Version:LINK)
1x 2N2222A transistor (Generic from Sindh etc)
1x 1k ohm resistor (1/4W 5% 4-band color code)
- What tradeoffs of price/performance are acceptable? Will users be really testing this? Will they be comparing the battery life?
- Does the customer 'build' the circuit completely, from supplied information?
- Does the customer wind the toroid transformer?
- Are the 20 cm jumper wires used for the toroid windings? How many turns are expected/needed?
- What does the reference to "fit in light bulb" relate to?
- Do the mini-breadboards need to be "Lego" size / block?
- Self-Cycling RGB LED?? "RGB LED: see attached PDF" BUT there was not an attachment. Does the LED have it's own timing?
- Why quantity 3 on the LED?