Bootloaders Programmers for Arduino
print this page
Bootloaders and Programmers for Arduino
What you need to load "Bootloader" firmware on Arduino UNO and YourDuino RoboRED:
(It is possible to do this with another working UNO or RoboRED. See THIS LINK)
- Download and install Arduino IDE:
- https://www.arduino.cc/download_handler.php?f=/arduino-1.8.3-windows.exe (No donation)
- Or download from YourDuino.com: Go to: " http://terryking.us/ArduinoSoftware/"
- Click on " arduino-1.8.3-windows.exe" (LARGE download)
- Get a "USB-TinyISP" module $11.50 HERE or $12.95 (Free Shipping) HERE
- Get a USB cable A-B with a large end like THIS ONE
- Download and install the USB-Tinyisp Driver HERE. Run the installer, and choose "Trinket/Pro TRinket/Gemma/USB-tinyisp"
- Plug in USB cable to your computer
- Plug large square end of USB cable to USB-TinyISP module. Green LED inside should light
- Start the Arduino software "IDE" (click on "arduino.exe" in the install directory) (You can drag it onto desktop as "link" also)
- On the Arduino screen menu go to TOOLS>BOARD Select "Arduino/Genuino UNO"
- On the Arduino screen menu go to TOOLS> PROGRAMMER and click on USBtinyISP (Later you'll want to go back to "AVRISP mkII")
- Remove a RoboRED board from it's wrapping
- Orient the board so you can read the logo
- Plug the cable from the USB-TinyISP module onto the 6-pin yellow connector on the far right end of the RoboRED .
- Make sure the RED Stripe end of the cable is UP.
- The Red LED at the upper left of the RoboRED should light up steadily. The Red LED in the center of the board MAY blink
- NOTE: If you have a small Laptop or Tablet your USB might not have enough power. You'd need to add a powered USB Hub device.
- On the Arduino IDE screen, select TOOLS and then "BURN BOOTLOADER"
- A red LED on the USB-TinyISP module should come on for about 2 or 3 seconds
- Down in the dark green lowest section of the Arduino screen, you should see "Done burning bootloader".
- Quick Test: Just below the cable you connected to the UNO / RoboRED is a small rectangular pushbutton. Push it a few times. That should cause the red LED in the center of the RoboRED to blink 3 times very rapidly. A single blink means the bootloader burn did not succeed.
- Unplug the USB-TinyISP programmer cable from the RoboRED.
- Mark a white or black dot on the board just above the Logo.
- If desired, Plug a USB cable into the board, wait for driver to be set, then go to TOOLS>PORT and set port. Upload BLINK or other test sketch.
- Put the board back in anti-static envelope, tape.